Open Source Research Course
IICI and the University of California at Berkeley’s Human Rights Center are pleased to announce an innovative joint training programme on Open Source and Social Media Investigations. Training and mentoring will be provided initially at Berkeley from 14-18 January 2019. A further course will take place in The Hague later in 2019. The 5-day programme is aimed at civil society, law enforcement and international justice professionals alike. Topics will include:
- Collection – how to plan your online information collection strategy to target only data which may be useful and avoid being overwhelmed.
- Collation – setting up proper systems for automatically sorting the information and making it searchable.
- Verification & authentication – how to prove that videos/photos are genuine – where do they originate; how have they been received; metadata; geolocation
- Evidential analysis – identifying what is evidentially useful: data that can provide useable evidence that an international crime/human rights violation was committed; where and when; by whom.
- Security – protection of data from cyberattack; protection of providers of data who might be identifiable either from metadata or other factors.
- Using online material as evidence in court
I would like to thank you and your colleagues at the IICI for such a wonderful course in The Hague, despite the cold and rain. I learnt so much and had a great time. The trainers were patient, interesting and informative. I really enjoyed going to the military camp, given I don’t get too many chances to get inside a tank or hold an AK47…
International Investigator Course Participant
The past two weeks have been such a wonderful experience. So I am writing to say that it was the most interesting, fruitful and pleasant training I have ever been to. Your management of the challenges of our training and your skills in engaging the participants was outstanding. What really amazed me was, how aware you were of everything that was occurring in the classroom, and how you managed to help each attendee personally and to initiate discussions of the topics everyone was thinking and wondering about
Training of Experts on the Investigation of International Crimes, JRR-Certification Course Participant
All our staff have … expressed a STRONG appreciation for the course and articulated the relevance for our work. Very good for our team building also.