Board of Directors and Officers
The Board of Directors of the IICI is the governing body of the Institute. It is composed of experts from around the world, and from disciplines relevant to both teaching and conducting investigations into serious violations of international humanitarian law. Military officers, human rights investigators, academics, criminal investigators, and experts in international law have joined forces to create a new approach to the investigation of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
William Schabas - President
William Schabas, Order of Canada, President of IICI, is professor of international law at Middlesex University in London.
Nancy Pemberton - Treasurer
Nancy Pemberton is a retired attorney, investigator, and mitigation specialist residing in Northern California.
Desmond Travers - Vice President
Desmond Travers is a retired Colonel of the Army of the Irish Defence Forces.
Colonel Bernard Markey - Board Member
Colonel Bernard Markey is an Army Officer of the Irish Defence Forces with over 30 years professional military experience at home and abroad.
Bernard O'Donnell - Board Member
Bernard O’Donnell has extensive experience in conducting, leading and managing national and international investigations.
John Ralston - Board Member
John Ralston was the Executive Director of the Institute for International Criminal Investigations from 2003 to 2016.
Heather Ryan - Board Member
Heather Ryan is the Open Society Justice Intiative’s representative in Cambodia, monitoring the work of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (Khmer Rouge trials).
Jayne Stoyles - Board Member
Jayne Stoyles is a lawyer, the first Executive Director of the Canadian Centre for International Justice, and an Ashoka Canada Fellow.
Kaoru Okuizumi - Board Member
Kaoru Okuizumi is the Deputy Head of the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM). She was previously the Director of the UN Team of Experts on the Rule of Law and Sexual Violence in Conflict, which was established by the Security Council to assist national authorities in ensuring criminal accountability for conflict-related sexual violence.
Catherine Cissé van den Muijsenbergh - Board Member
Catherine Cissé van den Muijsenbergh studied literature and international law. She holds an MA degree in international law from the University of Pantheon Sorbonne (Paris I).
Beth Van Schaack - Board Member
Beth Van Schaack is the Leah Kaplan Visiting Professor in Human Rights at Stanford Law School—where she teaches in the areas of international human rights, international criminal law, and atrocities prevention—and a Faculty Fellow with the Handa Center for Human Rights & International Justice at Stanford University.
is the Institute’s Executive Director
is the Institute's Finance Officer
Core IICI Trainers and Advisers
- Alexa Koenig, Executive Director of the Human Rights Center; Co-Founder of the Investigations Lab; and Lecturer, UC Berkeley School of Law
- Bruce Bursik, International Criminal Investigator
- Danaé van der Straten Ponthoz, International Law and Gender Justice Advisor
- Daniela Kravetz, International Criminal Justice and Gender Expert
- Dean Manning, Team Leader – Criminal Assets Confiscation Taskforce, Australian Federal Police
- Emmanuelle Marchand, Head of Legal Unit/Senior Legal Counsel at Civitas Maxima
- Erin Gallagher, International Criminal and Human Rights Investigator
- Glyn Morgan, Military, Intelligence & Analysis Specialist
- Henriette Stratmann, Forensic Consultant
- Ingrid Elliot
- Joe Powderly, Associate Professor of Public International Law, Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies, Leiden University
- John Ralston
- John Tobin, Vice-President of the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland
- Julie Plant, Investigator into serious international crimes and violations of international law
- Dr. L. Kathleen Roberts, Co-Director, Partners in Justice International
- Liliana Todorović
- Linda Liebenberg, Resilience Consultant
- Lindsay Freeman, Law and Policy Director, UC Berkeley Human Rights Center
- Maxine Marcus, Director of Partners in Justice International
- Mike Dixon
- Patricia Viseur Sellers, Special Advisor for Gender to the OTP of the ICC. Visiting Fellow Kellog College,
- University of Oxford. Practicing Professor, London School of Economics
- Paul Myers
- Penny Hart
- Priya Gopalan, International Criminal Law, Human Rights and Gender Expert
- Dr. Ray Murphy, Professor Irish Centre for Human Rights, National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland
- Rory Byrne, Managing Director of Security First
- Steve Clappison
- Willie Nugent, Eurocheck Security Consultants
- The staff of the IICI are also assisted by a range of expert consultants hired on an as needed basis.
Council of Advisors
The Council of Advisors is composed of prestigious individuals in the field of international law. The Institute relies upon these volunteers for their expertise and advice.
Youk Chhang is the Executive Director of the Documentation Center of Cambodia, a project begun by the Cambodian Genocide Center at Yale University.
Richard J. Goldstone
Richard J. Goldstone is a former member of the Constitutional Court of South Africa and the former Chief Prosecutor of the United Nations Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda.
Dennis McManus is Professor of Patristics and Medieval Latin Literature, Georgetown University.